• Jen Bedard

The Communities of NOTL - St. Davids


St. Davids, much like the other rural and urban neighbourhoods of Niagara-on-the-Lake, offers many lovely homes for families with young children and for retirees.

Like most of the area, St. Davids is steeped in history and the village sits at the base of the escarpment. The Four Mile Creek meanders through the beautiful village as it makes its way to Lake Ontario and its source, the St. David’s springs, is halfway up the escarpment.

Before the War of 1812, St. David’s was a hub of activity with four mills, a distillery barrel and shoemaker. The mills were powered with water from the creek.

The war years were turbulent for the village and it was taken by the Americans six times, before finally being destroyed by them as they were driven out in 1814.

Tender fruit farming changed the economy of the village and in 1970 the community was incorporated into the new regional town of Niagara-on-the-Lake.

The village school, St. David’s Public School, serves Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 but there is a choice of several schools in the other nearby neighbourhoods.

Shopping may not be abound in St.Davids, but Virgil and Old Town NOTL do have many shops. Otherwise St. Catharines is great for a shopping expedition.